Date:      Thu, 06 Mar 2003 17:34:36 +0100
From:      "Guy P." <guy@device.dyndns.org>
To:        freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Prov. patch for the file hole ISS disclosed

At 16:41 06/03/2003, Jacques A. Vidrine wrote:
>[I guess you mean iDEFENSE.  Comparing the sendmail issue and
>  this file issue gives you a pretty good idea of the difference
>  between ISS and iDEFENSE :-) ]
>
>On Thu, Mar 06, 2003 at 03:15:47PM +0100, Guy Poizat wrote:
> > Here is my suggestion. Feel free to comment/correct me,
> > as this is my first ever C line out of a windows system :]
> > I tested it against RELENG_4.
>
>Thanks!  However, this has already been fixed in -CURRENT (by import
>of FILE 3.41).  I do not know whether or not David plans to MFC in
>time for 4.8-RELEASE.

This, IMO, would be a good idea, as probably many third party utilities are
using the file command.

For instance, i decided to fix that quick because i use amavis for wiping
viruses out of emails attachements, which seems to be using file during its
scanning process. As the exploit looks like fairly easy to build, i can
nearly imagine a new worm taking advantage of it...

My idea is not to stress you, just wanted to be sure everybody understand
it could be a remote compromise of some sort too :]

--
         Guy P.