Date:      Sat, 7 Oct 2000 03:43:46 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        Wyatt Banks <banksw@sunyit.edu>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: cdrom / installing ports

Wyatt Banks writes:
> I have my atapi cdrom defined in my kernal with 'device atapicd'
> and it is mounted in fstab as '/dev/acd0a /cdrom ufs 0 0'
> which works correctly, or so it appears, and I verify this by changing
> to the /cdrom directory and am able to view files contained on the cdrom
> but cannot install ports from it for some reason.  In 'The Complete
> FreeBSD' it says my cdrom must be mounted to /cdrom, which it is, and that
> one port that I can build that licensing permits it to be on the cdrom
> is xchat.  I tried installing this from the cd by changing to
> /usr/ports/irc/xchat and when I try the 'make' command, it tells me it
> doesnt seem to exist on the system, as is shown in the book's example, but
> then it only attempts to retrieve and build it via ftp, but this does not
> work since I don't have any way of connecting it to the internet.  How do
> I make my computer look on the cdrom first, and is there a way to tell
> which ports are only ftp retrievable?

It's looking for the "distfile", which is the generic for the source
distribution.  Later versions of FreeBSD Releases (starting with 4.0,
I believe) don't have distfiles on them any more. Greg will have to
deal with the issue of the bookd being outdated. If you've got a
version prior to 4.0, you'll have to install the ports collection on
disk (from /stand/sysinstall), then mount the cdrom with the xchat
distfile(s) on it as /cdrom.

For 4.0 and later, you can see if you have a copy of the xchat
package. To do that, mount each cdrom and check /cdrom/packages/All
for an xchat*.tgz file (the * will be versioning information). If you
find that, you can install it with pkg_add. This is a binary install,
not from source.

If you can't find it, or insist on a source install, you'll have to
find some way to get the files it is looking for on your
computer. Email, snailmail a floppy, whatever. Have whoever does it
check the md5 sum on the file before sending it to you. Put the
distfile where "make" says it should be, and you should be set.

	<mike