Date:      Thu, 2 Mar 95 15:00:28 CST
From:      tjohnson@cobber.cord.edu (Protius)
To:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   gateway

We have a 386dx with a 387 running FreeBSD 2.1.0-Development (950210)
on a pair of ESDI drives, with a 3com 503 ethernet board.

We're trying to get sliplogin running.  So, we followed the FAQs, and
everything went great, until we put in the GATEWAY option and recompiled
the kernel.  When it booted the new kernel, it tried to start the
networking stuff, and ifconfig, routed, and friends all said
"protocol not supported".  Other demons, like named and httpd, just hung.
(by hitting ^C several times, I got a login prompt)

One other interesting, but not related to this adventure, problem:
We tried to put a WD8013 card in this machine, and it would reliably
panic (page fault in kernel mode I think) when it tried to use the
ethernet card.  This computer is an old AT&T 6386, we figured it was a
hardware incompatability.

Thanks in advance for your help!
Thanks right now for writing FreeBSD in the first place.  You have saved
my computer and I from a fate worse than CPM.

-Tommy
tjohnson@cobber.cord.edu