Date:      Mon, 08 Feb 1999 11:15:03 +0100
From:      Marc van Kempen <marc@bowtie.nl>
To:        The Hermit Hacker <scrappy@hub.org>
Cc:        Wilko Bulte <wilko@yedi.iaf.nl>, luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it, freebsd-multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Something to show off...?

[snip]
> > > downloaded blender...going to have to flip to my old card and see if I
> > > notice a difference between the two...tried a few of the demos in the
> > > tutor pack, and altho they look impressive, they look slow too, but I'm
> > > curious as to whether they'd look worse with my old card or not *shrug*
> >
> > >From playing with blender a bit I'd guess you need the heftiest CPU
> > money can buy, and then buy the best video card from the money left.
>
> I'm running a PII-266 as CPU, 128Meg of RAM and a Creative Graphics
> Blaster RivaTNT video card with 16Meg of RAM on it...does that count? :)
> Actually, with that, I was impressed with how responsive Blender was, but
> I'm curious as to how much of that is the CPU vs the video card, so will
> be downgrading the video card later this evening to see ...

See
	http://www.blender.nl/stuff/blench1.html
	http://www.blender.nl/stuff/blench2.html

For some comparisons, also note the PII 463 (overclocked) machine,
that can really compete with the lower end SGI's in drawing speed ;-)

In rendering speed (blench2) SGI's are easily outperformed by the PII's
and alpha's.

Bottomline is (since Mesa is used) CPU+fast rect copying videocard
counts the most.

Marc.

Marc van Kempen                 BowTie Technology
Email: marc@bowtie.nl            WWW & Databases
tel. +31 40 2 43 20 65
fax. +31 40 2 44 21 86         http://www.bowtie.nl