Date:      Fri, 23 Apr 2004 14:16:27 +0300
From:      Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@hellug.gr>
To:        dave <dmehler26@woh.rr.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: backing up cvs files

On 2004-04-23 02:44, dave <dmehler26@woh.rr.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>     I've got a cvs repository i'd like to move to another system, but i am
> uncertain as to how to back it up, any advice helpful.
>     Also, i've got an anonymous user in the file READERS, however he can
> still commit changes to the repository, i am speculating this might be a
> permissions issue, can anyone confirm this?

CVS doesn't store information in any special filesystem metadata area.
The CVSROOT files are plain text files, whose normal attributes (owner,
permissions, creation-modification and access times, etc.) are all that
needs to be backed up.

I have moved CVSROOT hierarchies many times, either in different places
within the same filesystem or in other filesystems/machines altogether.
All you should need to do is:

a. Make sure nobody uses the CVSROOT in question while you back it up.

   This is important, to avoid taking a backup copy of files that are
   either locked by a running cvs client or are incomplete, since
   they're being updated at the time you start backing up.

b. Use your favorite archiver to take a backup copy, i.e.:

	% cd $CVSROOT
	% tar cvf cvsroot.tgz .

That should be enough :)

- Giorgos