Date:      Mon, 20 Nov 1995 04:43:30 -0800
From:      asami@cs.berkeley.edu (Satoshi Asami)
To:        msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au
Cc:        ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Proposal 3: Non-executable file in *_DEPEND

 * Pardon my ignorance, but is there a PKG_DEPENDS, to list packages that the
 * current item depends on?

No, the package names of dependencies are not in the ports Makefiles.
Only the paths (e.g., ${PORTSDIR}/lang/tcl) are there, and your lovely
make will cd into that directory to do "make package-name" to retreive
the package name from that Makefile.

 * If so, may I suggest a possible extension to the naming convention for
 * packages as used by this entry :
 *
 *  package-major.minor	to require an exact version of a package
 *  package		to require any version of a package
 *  package>major.minor	to require version major.minor or higher.

This is a neat idea, but the problem is that this would require a
major change in the paradigm (see above).  Also, I'm not exactly sure
how manageable this will be, as we have ports depended from all over
the place, checking for package dependencies when a new version comes
out can be pretty hard.

Right now, we have a sort of collapsed scheme that makes this all very
simple.  It's also probably too anal, but I'm afraid to fix it would
complicate the (already complex) picture too much.

 * And as well, a PACKAGE_USES entry to indicate other packages that aren't
 * required, but _are_ used (for extra features, etc).

This has been suggested a few times, but I still can't understand what
we can do with this.  If pkg_add is not going to pull it in
automatically (like RUN_DEPENDS, etc.), the most we can do is to put a
printf that will print out a message -- then how is this different
from just putting in an "@exec echo" line in the pkg/PLIST?

Satoshi