Date:      Sat, 27 Dec 2003 17:01:53 -0500
From:      Joe Marcus Clarke <marcus@marcuscom.com>
To:        Monah Baki <mbaki@whywire.net>
Cc:        FreeBSD User Questions List <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Stuck on GDM and GNOME 2.4

--=-d+nrKjYYO3atPPrkYWwC

On Sat, 2003-12-27 at 09:31, Monah Baki wrote:
> Hi all,
>=20
> I installed from ports gnome 2.4 and gdm on Freebsd 4.9. I copied factory=
-gdm.conf to=20
> gdm.conf, I also copied gdm.sh.sample to gdm.sh.
> I still can't start gdm I get the following error messages:
>=20
> Dec 27 10:03:15 trinity gdm[193]: Failed to start X server several times =
in a short time period;=20
> disabling display :0
> Dec 27 10:08:05 trinity gdm[252]: gdm_slave_xioerror_handler: Fatal X err=
or - Restarting :0

=46rom where was gdm installed?  When did it start to fail?  What happens
when you try to start X using startx?  What messages do you have in
/var/log/XFree86.0.log?  How about /var/log/:0.log?  What is the uid/gid
of the gdm user?  What are the permissions on /usr/X11R6/etc/gdm?  On
/usr/X11R6/share/gnome/gdm?

>=20
> One thing I noticed in the mailing list is not to start gdm at boot time.=
 Which file is needed for=20
> that so that I can disable it.

Under normal circumstances, gdm can be started at boot time without any
problems.  However, if you wish to disable this, just remove the
/usr/X11R6/etc/rc.d/gdm.sh file.

Joe