Date:      Mon, 13 May 2002 19:22:18 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Lamont Granquist <lamont@scriptkiddie.org>
To:        <current@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: The future of perl on FreeBSD

On Mon, 13 May 2002, Jonathan Perkin wrote:
> On Mon May 13, 2002 at 02:02:28PM -0600, Lyndon Nerenberg wrote:
> > There is one problem with the /usr/bin/perl redirector: it can
> > cause autoconfiguration scripts to mistakenly think perl is
> > installed on the system (they find the /usr/bin/perl wrapper) when
> > it isn't (there is no perl-from-ports backing the redirector).
>
> An auto-configuration script which merely checks for the existance
> of a file rather than actually testing it's the file it needs is a
> bit silly and probably deserves the breakage.

There's two sides to this.  One side is that you should always adhere to
the FreeBSD filesystem standard.  The other side is that if /usr/bin/perl
exists it should always be a working perl program.  I'd like to throw out
a mention that I think that all filesystem standards imposed by the
people writing the OS or the software packages and not imposed by the
system administrators is the wrong way to go.

A somewhat rambling stream-of-consciousness argument that I wrote about
this is here:  http://www.scriptkiddie.org/rants/registry.html

I've been thinking that an interesting project would be to implement the
"simple" part of this with the hooks into autoconf and /usr/bin/install
and convert the FreeBSD base OS to use it.  I'll be doing that after
someone can roll the clock back to 1999 and have my stock options hit
200 though...