Date:      Thu, 21 Oct 2010 10:43:52 +0200
From:      Gary Jennejohn <gljennjohn@googlemail.com>
To:        Milan Obuch <freebsd-arm@dino.sk>
Cc:        freebsd-arm@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Guruplug Server Plus working to some extent...

On Wed, 20 Oct 2010 23:09:37 +0200
Milan Obuch <freebsd-arm@dino.sk> wrote:

[snip]
> Second ethernet interface could be created uncommenting its definition in .dts
> file. With this configuration active, interface gets detected and created,
> but still something is wrong. Maybe my phy definition should be changed, but
> I do not have much knowledge in this part of system. I did not found much
> information detailing creation of .dts files, either.
>
> Actually it looks like receiving packets works but not sending. Interface
> status changes on plugging/unplugging cable, tcpdump shows packets coming in
> and replies coming out on guruplug, but no reply is seen on wire. If arp
> packet is coming in, it is seen in arp table on guruplug device. On the other
> side, it is not.
>
> Also, mge1 does not have ethernet link address (MAC) initialised, they are
> all-zero:
>
> # ifconfig mge1
> mge1: flags=8802<BROADCAST,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> metric 0 mtu 1500
>         options=8000b<RXCSUM,TXCSUM,VLAN_MTU,LINKSTATE>
>         ether 00:00:00:00:00:00
>         media: Ethernet autoselect (100baseTX <full-duplex>)
>         status: active
>
> When devd is active on startup, system hangs when mge1 is detected. No
> difference whether cable is plugged or not.
>
> If someone has any idea or patches to test, I am all ears. What I already
> found, does not aplly well to current status, but having unusable interface
> does not make me happy :(

The first thing that occurs to me is to assign a fake ETHADDR to this
interface in the driver (or u-boot or .dts) and see whether it starts
working.

That could at least narrow down where to look for the source of the
problem.

IIRC it used to be possible to do that with ifconfig, but I can't find it
in the current man page.

--
Gary Jennejohn