Date:      Fri, 10 May 2002 14:24:21 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Fred Clift <fclift@verio.net>
To:        Bill Moran <wmoran@potentialtech.com>
Cc:        Fred Clift <fclift@verio.net>, <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: pinning a process in real mem (ie unswappable)

Thanks for taking the time to read my blathering, and thanks for the
ideas...

On Fri, 10 May 2002, Bill Moran wrote:

> You may want to research this a bit further, because I'm not 100% sure,
> but I think the sticky bit _used_ to do this.  It doesn't do it in
> modern versions of FreeBSD.  In general, I don't think there's any
> way to do what you ask.

Well, from what I understand, it used to leave your process pages in swap
so that if you re-invoked the command soon that it could be read out of
swap - doing this to commonly used programs (ie cc if you were doing a big
multi-module compile) would help...  Of course, this is no longer the
case...

> Except, why not just buy enough memory that the machine never has
> to swap?  With current prices at cents/meg, it seems a pretty
> reasonable thing to do.

Well, afaik, freebsd maxes out at 4 gig of ram or thereabouts, without
mucho monkeying.  The process itself isn't that big, but gets swapped out
due to infrequent use/other memory hogs in the system that I cant
control) and the time it takes to get it swapped back in makes a
noticiable difference in this need-to-be-low-latency process.  In
actuality, I can add more ram and solve my immedaite problem, but it will
come back in a month or 3 when more ram is used by more of the same...

I haven't recieved any other answers to my question, but I just found the
'mlock()' call that I might be able to use.  I was hoping for a
shell-utility but I could alter the program to mlock much of itself.

Again, thanks for your suggestions :)

Fred

--
Fred Clift - fclift@verio.net -- Remember: If brute
force doesn't work, you're just not using enough.