Date:      Tue, 30 Jun 1998 01:55:51 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Snob Art Genre <benedict@echonyc.com>
To:        Yee Man Chan <ymc@eecs.umich.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: client-server problem

On Mon, 29 Jun 1998, Yee Man Chan wrote:

> Here is how the program performs under FreeBSD 3.0-CURRENT with different
> n:
> 1-100 Very fast
> 101-207 Very Slow (This range is the strangest I've ever seen)
> 208-1024 Very fast (just like 1-100)
> >1024 strange errors like unknown host or connection timedout
>
> Any clue?

I don't know about your >1024 problems, but the rest is explainable.  It
has to do with the way memory is allocated in the kernel for network
i/o.  I don't remember the exact details, but it's all put forth quite
clearly in W. Richard Stevens' _TCP/IP Illustrated Vol. 3_, with graphs
and everything.

Are you using TCP or UDP?  What kind of link are you going over?

 Ben

"You have your mind on computers, it seems."