Date:      Mon, 19 Apr 1999 15:58:27 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Jonathan Lemon <jlemon@americantv.com>
To:        Arjan.deVet@adv.iae.nl, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Directories not VMIO cached at all!

In article <local.mail.freebsd-hackers/199904192019.WAA05340@adv.iae.nl> you write:
>In article <199904191650.JAA24137@vashon.polstra.com> John Polstra writes:
>
>>If I understand your description correctly, this fix could really
>>benefit master CVSup servers such as freefall.  Those servers
>>typically have 8-12 running cvsupd processes, all doing tree walks
>>over the same CVS repository and making a stat() call on every file.
>>
>>Do you think it would help?
>
>It helps to some extend I think. The Squid server I've been testing can
>keep 32MB worth of directories cached after some tuning but because of
>the enormous amount of reads and writes being done half of the
>directories get removed from the cache after 5-10 minutes. We're
>speaking about 750,000-1,000,000 files in 4096 directories in a
>two-level hierarchy where 80% of the files is 9 KB or less in size.
>B.t.w., the Squid people are working on a SquidFS which will not use
>individual files anymore.

Which is why Peregrine prefers to use raw disk partitions (along with
a userland variant of LFS) to store the pages, since the filesystem
currently imposes too much overhead for good performance.

It's interesting, LFS seems to be a great web-cache filesystem, you
don't really need to preserve every file, you just throw some away.
No fsck; if the system crashes, you can just start all over again;
after all, it _is_ a cache, right?  (In Peregrine, this behavior is
tunable; some environments don't want to lose the entire cache).
--
Jonathan