Date:      Thu, 17 Feb 2000 10:12:07 -0800 (PST)
From:      Dirk Kleinhesselink <dkleinh@phy.ucsf.EDU>
To:        freebsd-alpha@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   problem with Tekram DC-390F SCSI on 4.0 release candidate

OK, I put an ELSA gloria synergy card in my AlphaPC164 box at home
replacing the TGA2 card I had in there and this time I got a nice RedHat
6.1 GUI install.  So I tried to install FreeBSD 4.0 release candidate and
while I got a vga console instead of it switching to serial, I got a
screen full of sym0:  parity complaints during the kernel boot and device
probe/identification.  I had to reset the machine to get it to stop.  I
also had FreeBSD 3.3 release and so I made boot/mfsroot floppies and
installed this.  3.3 works OK and reports ncr0: for my Tekram controller
(the Xserver install even offers me a TGA server although FreeBSD can't
install on a TGA card in console mode, which I find rather ironic....)
Anyway, I'm reporting that something seems wrong with the symbios/ncr
driver for 4.0 -- it works with 3.3 (and the card works with Linux and
Tru64 UNIX).  Card is a Tekram DC-390F 53C875 symbios based card.

Dirk