Date:      Fri, 15 Nov 2002 18:24:50 +0100
From:      "R. Zoontjens" <richard@radecom.nl>
To:        "Jack L. Stone" <jackstone@sage-one.net>, "freebsd-questions@FreeBSD. ORG" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: restore question

Jack L. Stone wrote,

> While that may have been the bible, common sense should apply and also
> times change. Last time I looked Tape drives and tapes were very
> expensive.
> HDs have become cheap, but until a year or so ago, they were not so cheap.
> This changes the dynamics while that "bible" remains static....
>
> One can buy a 80GB HD for less than $100.00. A 40GB for about $70.00. How
> much do tape drives & tapes cost..??? I do have tape for quick offsite
> removal..... BUT, that tape is NOT as current as having a HD backup every
> day or even several times a day. We're not talking about disaster programs
> here, but backups and restores expeditiously.

Actually we were talking about a good bare-metal system recovery procedure
(with dump/restore or dd or ghost). Not about the most-up-to-date backup. I
will not make an image of my hard drive every night. In fact I make 2 kinds
of backups:

* dumps of filesystems (for long-term archiving)
* nightly tar backups of userfiles (tar for cross platform portability)

The dumps are not as frequent as the userfiles-backups. When updates are
applied or new applications are installed, a new dump will be done (and
archived, next to the old one).

> Furthermore, I did not say one shouldn't use tapes too if they choose to.
> Nor did I say I didn't keep backups offsite. One can never have too many
> backups. But, if I want my CURRENT data to be backed up should my main HD
> suddenly crash, I don't want to go looking for a tape backup to restore
> that takes a long time and is not nearly as current.
>
> Moreover, take a look, now there are accessories that are like
> drawers that
> hold your HD so they slip right in and out. Even have a handle on the
> front. What is to stop one from pulling out a HD from the backup server
> that has the server backups...????
>
> If one doesn't have the budget for extra HDs, then other methods must be
> used obviously....

If speed of recovery is more important than off-site archiving, you are
totally right! Personally, I prefer my archives on tape because a tape is
less expensive and more reliable for that purpose.

If you use the combined strategie (hdd frequent backups + Tape for
archiving) it is a good solution.

YMMV

> Common sense + backup/restore program + budget = solution (probably left
> something out of that quick equation).

I agree

---

R.J. Zoontjens

    ____            __
   / __ \____ _____/ /_/  _________  ____ ___

Dit bericht kan vertrouwelijke informatie bevatten. Indien u niet de
geadresseerde van dit bericht bent, verzoeken wij u dit bericht te
vernietigen zonder van de inhoud kennis te nemen en de inhoud ervan niet te
gebruiken, niet te kopieren en niet onder derden te verspreiden.

This message may contain information which is privileged or confidential. If
you are not the named addressee of this message please destroy it without
reading, using, copying or disclosing its contents to any other person.