Date:      Sun, 20 Feb 2000 10:10:45 +0100 (CET)
From:      hm@kts.org (Hellmuth Michaelis)
To:        gabriel@maquina.com (Jose Gabriel Marcelino)
Cc:        sos@freebsd.dk, current@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-isdn@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Big ATA problems

Jose Gabriel Marcelino wrote:

> This obviously conflicts with the secondary IDE controller which lies at
> 0x170, however this has not been a problem till this day and no driver
> complained about this. Now, with the newer kernel I get this:
>
> atapci0: <VIA 82C586 ATA33 controller> port 0xe000-0xe00f at device 7.1 on
> pci0
> ata0: at 0x1f0 irq 14 on atapci0
> ata1: at 0x170 irq 15 on atapci0
> isic0: Error allocating io at 0x160 for Teles S0/16.3!
>
> While I was able to use the Teles again by changing it's default IO port I
> think there will be some people who will find it cumbersome to have to
> change the IO on a card that was working fine before.
>
> I feel this is a newbus issue with the ATA driver and/or maybe the i4b
> driver doesn't really need that many IO ports so I'm sending this email to
> both parties.

This type of error with the 2nd IDE controller was reported also by other
people, mostly the reports were "working sometimes".

First of all, Teles refuses to give out any docs about their hardware, so
it might be that not all addresses are used but this is 100% speculation.

What you are recognizing is the real nice thing about newbus: you can't
allocate a resource twice. I admit, this might be a bit cumbersome in the
single case but it saves us from the "working sometimes" and "working
sometimes not" and "sometimes, very seldom and unreproducible" error
reports in the general case.

hellmuth
--
Hellmuth Michaelis                hm@kts.org                   Hamburg, Europe
 We all live in a yellow subroutine, yellow subroutine, yellow subroutine ...