Date:      Mon, 29 Sep 2008 15:13:02 +0200
From:      "Michael Schuh" <michael.schuh@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: experimantal question about md's

Hello @all,
hello Oliver,

thnak you for your reply.

No i do not try to solve a real problem.
It was hypothetically, an idea, not more not less.
I have this written in my first posting.

And for me, it is a logical dependency that the ram get paged to the swap i=
there is not enough
RAM for all processes and in-memory data.

I think my question is answered good enough.

Thanks for all.

greetings

Michael

2008/9/29 Oliver Fromme <olli@lurza.secnetix.de>

> Michael Schuh wrote:
>  > Clearly the Writeprocess of writeing data to an mirror is totally ende=
d,
> as
>  > all mirrordevices are written.
>  > But for the read the kernel uses the faster device......and there it
> could
>  > be an advantage.....i m thinking.
>  > And yes i think it could be an advantage, if the RAMed mirror is very
> fast,
>  > we have only to wait
>  > for the first initialization, all the ongoing reads go to the ramdisk,
> all
>  > writes goes to both devices.
>
> I think it would be completely sufficient to use a normal
> device and let the kernel cache the data.  This is much
> better because the kernel dynamically adapts the cache
> size to the workload and memory requirements.
>
> If you use an unusual asymmetric mirror setupt with a
> physical disk and a memory disk (swap-backed), the machine
> will have to start paging as soon as the requirements of
> your processes grow beyond what's available.  This will
> be very slow, of course.
>
> For example (a little bit simplified):  Say there's a spike
> in web accesses so you get many processes that want to
> allocate memory.  If you run out of free memory, the kernel
> will drop some pages that contain cached data and re-use
> them.  If the cached data is used later, the kernel will
> re-read it from the disk.  On the other hand, if you use
> a memory disk, you effectively reduce the amount of memory
> available by the size of that disk.  If a process wants
> to allocate memory now, the kernel can't simply drop any
> pages used by the memory disk -- it has to write them to
> the swap area first.  It is obvious that the performance
> is worse.
>
> And of course, the kernel will still try to cache the file
> system data (the VFS code doesn't care that the file system
> is on a gmirror with one half on a memory disk).  So the
> cache and the memory disk fight for RAM at the same time.
> Basically you would be wasting RAM and losing performance.
>
>  > if i have enough ram in the box, it is possible to say: Hi kernel use
> plase
>  > 8 Gigs of ram for buffering
>  > the directory abc on the disk directaccesABC ??? i think not.
>
> The kernel will basically use all available RAM for
> caching and buffering.  This works especially well for
> static web content.  There are a few sysctl variables
> to influence the behaviour, but it's usually better not
> to touch them.
>
> I get the impression that you're trying to solve a problem
> that doesn't exist.  If you think you _do_ have a problem,
> please provide some evidence, such as output from iostat,
> gstat, vmstat and so on.
>
> Best regards
>   Oliver
>
> --
> [...]

--=20
=3D=3D=3D m i c h a e l - s c h u h . n e t =3D=3D=3D
Michael Schuh
Postfach 10 21 52
66021 Saarbr=FCcken
phone: 0681/8319664