Date:      Sat, 22 Aug 1998 21:39:26 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>
To:        Lee.David@oscsystems.com
Cc:        Freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Multicast Packet size problem

On Thu, 20 Aug 1998 Lee.David@oscsystems.com wrote:

> I  developed an application that does multicasting.....I am trying to send
> packet sizes ranging from 1000 bytes to 12,500 bytes.   My test
> configuration consist of a receiver on one and a sender both FREE BSD ver
> 2.2.6.  I can successfully send and  receive a packet size of 1400 bytes or
> less, using the system calls sendto and recvfrom.  However, I cannot seem
> to get it to work for packets larger than 1400 bytes.  The symptoms of the
> sender are as follow - after a hundred or more packets the sendto system
> call returns an error code via the perror call of such "sendto: can not
> route to host".  In addition the receiver never receives any packets at
> all!!

Are the sender and receiver on the same network?

What happens if you immediately restart the program?  Run a traceroute to
the other host?

> FYI, I also found that if run the test with packet size greater than 1400
> bytes, starting the same sender and receiver mention above in different
> process windows on the same machine, the sender behaves the same.  However
> the receiver does indeed receive all packets generated by the sender!!!
>
> I have set up an SGI  IRIX UNIX machine as the sender and the receiver a
> FREEBSD and am able to run both of the above test successfully.
>
> Your help would be greatly appreciated, I have spent a few days looking
> into this problem and am stumped.

I'd also set up tcpdump and see where the ICMP No Route To Host message is
coming from.  Your router may be dropping such a message to shut up the
sender.

I'm not sure 12k packets are kosher -- they're going to fragment _badly_
since Ethernet can only send 1500 bytes at once.