Date:      Sat, 30 Sep 2000 14:35:30 GMT
From:      "Greg Smith" <gregsmith59@hotmail.com>
To:        frank@student.rug.ac.be
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   better SVGA console (was: Re: text console size on IBM TP 240?)

Frank and others,

As I mentioned in my posting three weeks ago, entitled:

FYI: SVGA LCD and console and VESA_800x600 and 4.1-Release

you can recompile vidcontrol with different hard-coding of the vesa_800x600
mode.  The solution for svga is to change 80 and 25 to 100 and 37 [800x600 /
8x16 = 100x37.5].

If you prefer to use 8x14 or 8x8 fonts then I suppose you could substitute
100/42/14, or 100/75/8, for 80/25/16.  You probably would also need to load
the correct fonts with "vidcontrol -f ...".

The source for vidcontrol on my machine is in:
/usr/src/usr.sbin/vidcontrol/vidcontrol.c

You will want "options VESA" in your kernel config, since this requires one
of the extra modes.  If you don't have that option compiled into the kernel
you can still do the testing.  To see the difference run "vidcontrol -i
mode", then "kldload vesa", then re-run "vidcontrol -i mode".  The modes
starting at 256 are what VESA gets you.  vesa_800x600 uses mode 258 on my
machine.  I think you also need "options SC_PIXEL_MODE" in the kernel;  I
did this awhile ago and don't remember for sure.  LINT warns that this will
add lots of code to the kernel;  mine grew very little.

HTH.  Let me know if you have any questions.

Greg

>Well, you can tell your fbsd to run in VESA_80x30 mode, but that won't
>change
>a lot. Still not the entire size used up.
>
>In leenox, there is SVGATextMode that allows me to use font size 107x39 or
>something like that. If I have A LOT of time, i might have a look at how
>they
>do it, and look if I can patch something for bsd ...

BTW, this will not take long.  I don't even know C!