Date:      Mon, 27 Mar 2000 08:59:52 -0800
From:      Arun Sharma <adsharma@sharmas.dhs.org>
To:        djb@wit389306.student.utwente.nl
Cc:        freebsd-smp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: SMP and vn

> Right now I am running with a reduced kernel. I deleted the pcm and ata
> drivers (system is now running off scsi only - Tekram 390U2W) and I also
> alltogether removed softupdates from the kernel as well as anything else
> that wasn't absolutely necessary.
>
> In about 5-10 days I'll know wether this has helped.
>
> If anyone has any further insights into this huge problem, I'd love to hear
> about it!

I'm pretty convinced that this hang is related to the disk subsystem. I
had two hangs in the last week during heavy compilations and when the hang
happened, the orange LED on my disk was on. Everything else was frozen.

I could reproduce the hang *once* by running:

# dd if=/dev/ad4s1 of=/dev/null &
# dd if=/dev/ad4s1 of=/dev/null &
# while true; do ls done;

But not anymore :(

Can anyone tell me, exactly what events cause the disk LEDs to go on
and off ?

	-Arun