Date:      Thu, 08 Aug 2002 08:04:50 -0500
From:      "Jack L. Stone" <jackstone@sage-one.net>
To:        Desmond Lee <desmond.lee@shaw.ca>, Kent Stewart <kstewart@owt.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: still can't upgrade using make install world

At 12:53 AM 8.8.2002 -0700, Desmond Lee wrote:

>Hi Kent
>
>>Did you use vipw or edit it in. If you used an ordinary editor, you
>>have to update the password database. I did a man passwd and it listed
>>pwd_mkdb. I never try to get that involved and simply use vipw.
>
>Kent man... you rock. I've done pwd_mkdb on the /etc/master.passwd file, but
>when i do 'make installworld' nothing happened. But, when i did 'vipw -d
>etc/' and then just saved the master.passwd file, it sais something like
>updating the db and then when i did the 'make installworld' stuff started to
>happen.
>
>>Well, that only works on smmsp after you finish the installworld. If
>>it is dying before then, you have to use the version in /usr/obj to do
>>the addition.
>
>What do you mean when you say "use the version in /usr/obj". You mean
>execute 'mergemaster -p' in the /usr/obj dir if the 'make installworld'
>doesn't even start up? Just want to clarify so i don't miss potential
>important info.
>
>Just for sanity check, the /etc/make.conf file i used is just a blank file.
>I did this because matt said something like:
>
>"That is actually one of the few files that you can just copy out of
>/etc/defaults to /etc and not come to grief.  If you look at
>/etc/defaults/make.conf, you'll see that all the entries are actually
>commented out: they're just there to document what's available.  It
>also means that you could just create an empty file for /etc/make.conf
>without ill effects, but it's more usual to put some local
>configuration in there."
>
>Um... so am i potentially messing stuff up? The reason i ask is because
>another person said:
>
>"It is a VERY important file as it affects your "makes".....
>hmmm...."make.conf" is an apt name."
>
>which i didn't really quite understand. So, my make.conf is empty right now,
>but it should really have stuff specific to my pc?

The "make.conf" file is used to override the /etc/defaults/make.conf to run
specific things that are thus "commented back in" and take effect (the same
as with the rc.conf vs the ../defaults/rc.conf). Although many others may
have different config opinions or needs, for example, here is a make.conf
file I have been using, with a couple commented back out, but kept as
reminders for later:

sageame@sage-one$ more make.conf
CPUTYPE=i686
CFLAGS= -O -pipe
COPTFLAGS= -O -pipe
NOPROFILE= true
USA_RESIDENT= YES
# NO_OPENSSH= true      # Use to avoid any clobber from the aborted update
# OPENSSH_OVERWRITE_BASE= true  # Use to make it update from the ports

Best regards,
Jack L. Stone,
Administrator

SageOne Net