Date:      Tue, 01 Apr 1997 21:18:47 -0700
From:      "Justin T. Gibbs" <gibbs@plutotech.com>
To:        "A JOSEPH KOSHY" <koshy@india.hp.com>
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Kernel Module System

>A suggestion for Doug: how about adding a version number in the LKM which
>can be compared against that expected by the kernel.  The idea is to warn
>and/or disallow loading of older LKMs into the kernel.
>
>The version number would be changed whenever say, a binary incompatibility
>is introduced.

You don't want a single version number really.  You want one for each
subsystem that an LKM may depend upon.  For example, the SCSI system might
itself be an LKM and a controller driver would need to ensure that it is
compatible both with the version of the "LKM loading subsytem" and that of
the SCSI subsystem.  The SCSI subsystem would in turn check its
dependencies (timeout mechanism, software interrupt registration,
whatever).

>Do we have an ``approved set'' of kernel routines (a Driver Development API)
>that are callable by drivers?

Don't we all wish...

--
Justin T. Gibbs