Date:      Sat, 8 Apr 2000 14:41:50 -0700
From:      Alfred Perlstein <bright@wintelcom.net>
To:        Frederik Meerwaldt <Meerwaldt@t-online.de>
Cc:        Ben Smithurst <ben@scientia.demon.co.uk>, chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Line Wrapping (Was: Re: Setting up a Webserver)

* Frederik Meerwaldt <Meerwaldt@t-online.de> [000408 14:13] wrote:
> Hi!
> >
> > > [...]
> > >
> > > Why not 80? A normal Terminal (I'm currently on a VT220) has got 80
> > > Chars/Line I think. But that's OT now.
> >
> > 70 allows a few levels of ">" quote characters without lines being too
> > long for an 80 character terminal.  But wrapping at 80 is still better
> > than not wrapping at all.
>
> But why wrap the lines? All programs do that automatically, I think.
> I'm using pine for my mails, and it does this automatically.
>
> But please correct me, if I'm wrong.

Mailers built for other platforms take great strides to make email
sent with them as annoying to read as possible for us text/mutt
users.

Microsoft 'Lookout!'(*) likes to quote messages as if you were
forwarding the message back to the person and sticking your commentary
on top which leads to a really annoying to read email.

Lookout also doesn't wrap long lines, or decideds to at the wrong
time, you should see some of the horrific emails I get that've been
through a couple of rounds of Lookout, Netscrape and Eudora, they're
hardly recognizable as english by the third or fourth round through
these awful mailers.

And to the unix haters that complain about '>From', well you can bite
me. :)

(*) thanks Terry, I love that one. :)