Date:      Mon, 17 Jun 2002 11:38:01 -0500
From:      John Prince <johnp@lodgenet.com>
To:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   ATA Atapi 4.6 Release

I have to say, I am a bit disappointed in the 4.6 release, as well as the
way problems have been identified, and swept under the carpet..

It appears the ATA code was MFC, and does not perform as one would expect..
In simpler terms, it does not work correctly.

Several people have reported having problems with ATAPI cdrom, as well as
problems with IDE drives and th3e ATA driver(s), since March.  I read a few
threads indicating it was being looked into, however it appears nothing was
fixed.

If I am wrong about this, then please tell me.. If not, can someone reply
as to why
the stability of FreeBSD was compromised in favor of an improved method, that
does not quite have the bugs out of it..

4.6 release is "Broke" and will not work with many existing hardware
configurations.
4.5 release worked..

My 2 cents..
John Prince