Date:      Thu, 08 Aug 2002 15:22:46 +0200
From:      Andreas Wideroe Andersen <awand@pragma.no>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Cleaning the pkg_info list

I've had a FreeBSD server running for some time and I've
occationally upgraded some of the programs. When I upgrade I go into
ports and issue a make install clean in the program's directory.
This leads to several listings under pkg_info:

mod_php-4.0.3pl1    PHP4 module for Apache
mod_php4-4.1.2      PHP4 module for Apache
mod_php4-4.2.1_1    PHP4 module for Apache
mysql-client-3.22.32 Multithreaded SQL database (client)
mysql-client-3.23.40 Multithreaded SQL database (client)
mysql-server-3.23.40 Multithreaded SQL database (server)
ncftp-3.0b21        FTP replacement with advanced user interface
ncftp3-3.0.3        ftp replacement with advanced user interface

I've got 2 questions:

1. I know if I do a pkg_delete <name.version> the program entry will
be deleted, but is there another way to clean this list (Ref. above
example)?

2. What is generally the best way to handle upgrades (also cleanings
like this)?

Thanks!

/Andreas