Date:      Tue, 18 Mar 2003 19:26:24 +0200
From:      Konstantinos Konstantinidis <kkonstan@duth.gr>
To:        obrien@freebsd.org
Cc:        hubs@freebsd.org, nac@duth.gr
Subject:   gr.freebsd.org dns problems

Hello,

On <20030309215448.GB30033@dragon.nuxi.com> you pointed out that,
among other things, gr.freebsd.org had dns problems of some kind.

I happen to be managing, among other things, the DNS service of
the University here in Greece that gr.freebsd.org is delegated
to, so this was quite a surprise to me!

Anyway, I started testing from various sites and noticed that
indeed there are very weird and inconsistent problems from one
greek ISP, which could be what you were experiencing. However
the moment I installed dns cache and bypassed their dns caches
everything worked perfectly well. It seems to me that this weird
problem that I am having manifests itself with *some* of the
dns caches deployed on the internet, and for some reason, only
with 3 out of the dozens of my zones.

Here's what happens in more detail...

gr.freebsd.org is delegated to the same name servers that serve
the duth.gr (those being the university's domains), and they
are configured in exactly the same way, with identical zones
(apart from the actual PTR, A etc. records of course) however
while all *.duth.gr zones work perfectly well from everywhere,
3 fail intermittently, there seems to be an extra delay of 5sec
somwhere and most of the times they timeout. The only thing
these 3 have in common is that they are not subdomains of duth.gr.
I do not think that this has something to do with the problem
though. The other two are childhealth.gr. and pedinfo.gr.

The fact that responses do come back to me sometimes, but are
all 5sec later than expected (other zones from that cache are
20ms +/-5, these 3 are 5020 +/-5 suggest that something is
waiting for something in vain and timing out after 5 sec -
wish I knew what though).

I honestly cannot figure out what it is that is going wrong.

Can someone offer me a clue?

--kkonstan