Date:      Fri, 04 Aug 2000 21:15:24 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Don Read <dread@texas.net>
To:        Ian Thomas <ipthomas_77@yahoo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: vi.recover permissions

On 05-Aug-00 Ian Thomas wrote:
>     After installing FreeBSD without a /var or /tmp
> directory and adding them using the information in
> Greg Lehey's excellent book I am now getting
> permission denied: cannot access vi.recover session
> not recoverable when I try to use vi as a user.  I
> don't get this when running as su.  I also get a
> permission denied for a /tmp directory.  I have set
> both /var/tmp and /tmp chmod +t to add the sticky bit.
>  Still no luck though.  Am I missing something obvious?

read+write+execute ?

localhost.dread$ ls -l / | grep tmp
drwxrwxrwt   5 root  wheel      512 Aug  4 20:40 tmp
localhost.dread$ ls -l /var/tmp
total 2
-rw-------  1 dread  wheel  182 Jul 30 09:33 tmp.0.Tu1567
drwxrwxrwt  2 root   wheel  512 Aug  4 20:41 vi.recover

Regards,
--
Don Read                                     dread@texas.net
-- "Stop telling God what to do" - Niels Bohr to A. Einstein