Date:      Mon, 24 Feb 1997 14:34:16 -0800 (PST)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        Tim Oneil <toneil@visigenic.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: * searching a good priest for zombies processes *

On Mon, 24 Feb 1997, Tim Oneil wrote:

> That would beg the question; how different IS BSD's process subsystem?
> Comming from the Solaris and HP worlds, I would really like to know.

Solaris is System V based, and SYSV has a slightly different philosophy
regarding the reaping of processes than BSD variants do.  A lpr
replacement package I use (LPRng) is built to compile on many systems, and
the solitary compile-time option is ZOMBIE which I assume addresses this
problem.

Unfortunately, I'm not as educated on this subject as I would like to be
:), perhaps someone on the list can give you a more technical
explanantion.