Date:      Fri, 9 Mar 2007 18:32:16 -0700 (MST)
From:      Warren Block <wblock@wonkity.com>
To:        =?ISO-8859-2?Q?Nejc_=A9koberne?= <nejc@skoberne.net>
Cc:        User Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD on IDE Flash disk drive

--0-189327284-1173490336=:27680

On Fri, 9 Mar 2007, Nejc =A9koberne wrote:

> Sorry for replying my own post, but now I fould out that this actually
> means how many times can I insert/remove the module into/from the
> motherboard. Actually the number I am interested in is much higher:
> "2,000,000 Program/Erase cycles". However I have no idea how to measure
> how many writes are performed during a normal operation of a FreeBSD
> server running DHCP and pf firewall.

m0n0wall gets around this by running out of RAM after booting from=20
flash (or CD, or hard disk):

http://m0n0.ch/wall/

pfSense is a variation of m0n0wall that uses pf for the firewall:

http://www.pfsense.org

Both of these provide DHCP and firewalls.  m0n0wall uses IPFW, while=20
pfSense uses pf.

--0-189327284-1173490336=:27680--