Date:      Fri, 6 Aug 1999 17:01:27 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Brian McGroarty <bvmcg@yahoo.com>
To:        junkmale@xtra.co.nz
Cc:        freebsd-advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Marketing FreeBSD / FreeBSD as a pr

Hear me out on this: In determining whether major retailors will
carry your software product, unless you're Linux or Quake, with
anything this side of a quarter million dollars' marketing
budget the packaging is as important or more important than the
product inside.

My last two employers actually went to the extent of letting
distributors choose from proofs and guide the final stages of
package design. The rare exceptions have been in our dealings
with Microsoft who make their own rules, and Lego Media, who
already have a proven-profitable relationship with virtually
everyone who owns a store.

Unless customers are clamoring for a product, package design is
EVERYTHING where availability is concerned.