Date:      Fri, 24 Jun 2005 08:34:13 -0600 (MDT)
From:      "Ryan Sommers" <ryans@gamersimpact.com>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   To C++ or not to C++

Greetings all... I'm about to undertake a major software engineering
project and I can't decide between C or C++ and was wondering if I could
get some input from the community.

As part of this project I'm going to need to make use of at least 2 C
libraries (OpenSSL and ncurses) and the application must be compatible
with the standard range of Linux/UNIX compilers and operating systems. All
of these signs make me sway closer to just doing it in C. However, one
strong point always seems to pull me back to C++, constructors and
destructors.

Constructors and destructors can offer so much in the way of memory leak
avoidance. Of course, each language can leak memory like a sieve if used
improperly. However, for statically allocated structures semi-automatic
garbage collection can be a nice cushion.

Anyway, without getting into too much detail. Anyone had to make this
choice on a project? What were your thoughts in retrospect? What would you
have done different, what would stay the same...

PS For this project things like polymorphisms and inheritance really
aren't needed.

Thanks

--
Ryan Sommers