Date:      Fri, 17 Jan 2003 20:11:45 -0500
From:      Scott Robbins <scottro@nyc.rr.com>
To:        "Scott R." <reverend@sfmidimafia.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: annoying fetchmail issue

--Nq2Wo0NMKNjxTN9z

On Fri, Jan 17, 2003 at 04:32:39PM -0800, Scott R. wrote:
> [please cc: me in replies as I am not currently subscribed to this list.=
=20
>  Thank you.]

>=20
>  I get the following error in my maillog:
>=20
> fetchmail[54779]: SMTP connect to localhost failed
> fetchmail[54779]: SMTP transaction error while fetching from xxx.xxx.xxx
> fetchmail[54779]: Query status=3D10 (SMTP)
>=20
> I've been poring over the manpages and googling like crazy and I haven't=
=20
> found anything to tell me what I'm doing wrong.  This is incredibly=20
> frustrating and I would appreciate any enlightenment you have to offer.

I used to have a web page explaining how to use fetchmail with mutt, but=20
changed it to use getmail.  Getmail seems to be preferred by people more=20
knowledgeable than myself, and I've found that it seems to work better.

So, I'll send you to the page anyway, in case you feel like making the chan=
ge.

http://home.nyc.rr.com/computertaijutsu/mutt.html

However, to answer your immediate questions--it'll work despite the error=
=20
messages but you have to add to your .fetchmailrc

mda "/usr/local/bin/procmail -d %T"=20

I've found you usually have to add that to each address which is being=20
checked. That is if you have john@isp.com and john@isp1.com each fetchmail
entry should have the mda entry afterwards.

Also, you might also need a .forward file in your home directory.  That will
just say  (including the double quotes)

"|/usr/local/bin/procmail"

With Fetchmail, you will get those errors, though it will deliver the mail,
with Getmail you won't. =20

HTH

--=20

Scott Robbins

PGP keyID EB3467D6

Xander: This is just too much. I mean, yesterday's my life like,=20
uh oh, pop quiz. Today, it's rain of toads.=20

--Nq2Wo0NMKNjxTN9z

--Nq2Wo0NMKNjxTN9z--