Date:      Sat, 17 Apr 1999 17:31:08 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Viren R. Shah" <viren@rstcorp.com>
To:        freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Getting an USB keyboard to work on -current..

I'm trying to make my USB keyboard the default (and only) keyboard on
my -current system. Here are the steps I followed:

1. I attacked the USB keyboard and rebooted. It was recognized:

usb0: <Intel 82371AB/EB (PIIX4) USB Host Controller>
uhub0 at usb0
uhub0: Intel UHCI root hub, class 9/0, rev 1.00/1.00, addr 1
ukbd0
ukbd0: QTRONIX USB Keyboard and Mouse, rev 1.00/1.10, addr 2, iclass 3/1

2. I did MAKEDEV kbd0 kbd1

3. I added "KBD_INSTALL_CDEV", and "flags 0x100" to the sc0 line to my
   kernel and rebooted. I get:

sc0 flags 0x100 on isa
sc0: VGA color <16 virtual consoles, flags=0x100>
atkbdc0 at 0x60-0x6f on motherboard
atkbd0 irq 1 on isa
ukbd0
ukbd0: QTRONIX USB Keyboard and Mouse, rev 1.00/1.10, addr 2, iclass 3/1
kbd1 at ukbd0

At this point I can do:
  kbdcontrol -k /dev/kbd1 < /dev/ttyv0 > /dev/null
and get a working USB keyboard.

[Note that all this while both my keyboard have been plugged in]

4. Now I remove the atkbd0 line from my kernel config (leaving the
   atkbdc0 line), and boot with that kernel, after unplugging the AT
   keyboard. I get a panic upon boot.

If I have missed a step, please let me know what I missed. If not,
I'll reboot with that kernel and report the panic information.

Thanks
Viren
--
Viren R. Shah