Date:      Wed, 19 Jan 2000 17:51:37 -0800
From:      Mike Smith <msmith@freebsd.org>
To:        "Toomas Aas" <toomas.aas@raad.tartu.ee>
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: IBM ServeRAID 3L

> I have a server with IBM ServeRAID 3L (currently running Windows
> NT) to which I would like to install FreeBSD. Alas, after
> browsing www.freebsd.org and www.ibm.com it seems that this
> combination of OS and controller is not currently supported.

That's correct.

> There is, however, support for Linux by IBM, which is licensed
> under GNU General Public License (I'm not very sure what this
> means).

It means that some information about the controller is available in a
form that makes it reasonably hard to do anything about it.

> Would it be very difficult task to develop ServeRAID support for
> FreeBSD, given that it already exists for Linux? It would, of
> course, for me, but there must be someone in this big FreeBSD
> community who is able to do this...? I would rather not install
> Linux.

The process would be reasonably straightforward, and I'd be quite
interested in doing it if someone were to send me one of these
controllers.

It's worth noting, however, that IBM recently acquired Mylex, and this
controller family may be close to the end of its product life.