Date:      Sun, 6 Dec 1998 00:52:49 -0500 (EST)
From:      BEAUPRE Antoine <beaupran@JSP.UMontreal.CA>
To:        freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Problem with perms on login.conf and passwd.db...

Help!

This is really weird! Just after my 227R->228R upgrade, some stuff was
mesed up in my /etc directory. At boot, I get the following message:

su: secure_path: cannot stat /etc/login_conf: Permission denied
[date] [hostname] _su: /etc/pwd.db Permission denied
[date] [hostname] su: secure_path: cannot stat /etc/login_conf: Permission
denied

This happens just whithin "Local packages initialization", after cvsupd.

There's another strange behavior: users other than me can't get to read
login_conf or passwd!!! So ls and the such display uids instead of user
names! But:

ls -l /etc/pwd.db /etc/login.conf:

-rw-r--r-- 1 root wheel 4823 [date] /etc/login.conf
-rw-r--r-- 1 root wheel 40960 [date] /etc/pwd.db

I don't get it!

Please help me!

|  Free the world from businessmen  |
|   Free yourself from your money   |