Date:      Fri, 10 Sep 2010 08:02:01 -0700
From:      Michael DeMan <freebsd@deman.com>
To:        Andrew Hotlab <andrew.hotlab@hotmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-jail@freebsd.org, freebsd@snap.net.nz
Subject:   Re: Jail hot migration

See inline.

On Sep 10, 2010, at 5:36 AM, Andrew Hotlab wrote:

>=20
>> Date: Fri, 10 Sep 2010 16:28:15 +1200
>> From: freebsd@snap.net.nz
>> To: freebsd-jail@freebsd.org
>> Subject: Jail hot migration
>>=20
>> Hi guys,
>>=20
>> I was lately thinking around jail hot-migration feature where one =
jail
>> could be moved from one host to another without
>> shutting it down, something like vmotion in VMware world.
>>=20
>> The storage layer should be easy with zfs send and receive or some =
form
>> of shared storage. The tricky part would
>> be a memory copy from one node to another and also the CPU handling.
>>=20
>> Anyone has an idea how this could be achieved? I guess it would =
require
>> a kernel module which could take care of memory
>> reservations and a daemon to copy and incrementally sync the jails
>> memory across.
>>=20
>> Then also there is the CPU problem..
>>=20
>> Sounds like a fair amount of work and development.
>>=20
>> All comments are welcomed!
>>=20
> Well, I'm not a developer, but I think that the jail framework surely =
deservestobe evolved in something more "friendly" from a sysadmin's =
point of view.
> The architecture is great, and that's just enough to consolidate a lot =
of workloads,but for some applications there are features (resource =
containers, offline andonline migration of jails, etc.) that need to be =
improved to be affordable in aproduction environment.
> I think that a lot of work is getting done (resource container and =
virtualizationstack projects have ben just sponsored by the FreeBSD =
Foundation), I do not knowhow much time will take to reach a complete =
"business-ready" virtualizationframework, neither if they are on the =
right path, but I'm quite confident, because I'msure that the simplicity =
of the FreeBSD solution will rule any other virtualizationframework out =
there.
> As the feature you are asking for, I think that resource containers =
and offlinemigration should be considered first, because overall they'll =
have more impact onbusiness environments. Further, I believe that =
building a hot migration procedureworking with third-party running =
applications will be a very complex task to achieve,maybe too expensive =
at this time, compared to the amount of work required.
> That's an interesting argument, I'll be glad if more member of the =
Community willcontribute with their considerations.
> Sincerely.
>=20

Sorry, I'm accustomed to 'top positing' - LIFO - polish notation.

Anyway, yes, is it no the plan that ezjail-admin *MIGHT* be integrated =
into the FreeBSD core release?  Once that is done, anybody could feel =
comfortable writing a webmin module to manage jails?