Date:      Tue, 23 Apr 1996 17:02:34 -0700
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        "Marc G. Fournier" <scrappy@ki.net>
Cc:        current@freebsd.org, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Intelligent Debugging Tools...

> 	What would it take to either create software for debugging
> hardware, and/or add appropriate debugging to the kernel that would
> improve debugging of hardware problems?

A lot.

The best you can hope for right now is "CheckIt" from TouchStone
software, it runs under DOS and no I haven't even the faintest idea
whether or not it will detect your particular problem.  Probably not,
but it's the best attempt at a software hardware checker that I know
of.

> 	As far as the kernel is concerned, I'm getting panics in VM
> and keep getting told its hardware problems...fine, but there *has*
> to be a better way of isolating the problem then replacing bits and
> pieces until the problem seems to go away.  For instance, when I get

Not really.  This is, in fact, how the "big boys" do it.  If you're in
doubt, swap it out.  One component at a time, if necessary, until you
find the bad one.  I would first target my cache, memory and
motherboard, in that order, for replacement if I were in your shoes
(and I have been - this is how I fixed it :-).

					Jordan