Date:      Mon, 12 Jan 1998 07:47:04 +0100 (MET)
From:      Luigi Rizzo <luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it>
To:        julian@whistle.com (Julian Elischer)
Cc:        guido@gvr.org, hasty@rah.star-gate.com, jbryant@unix.tfs.net, gjp@erols.com, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: au files

> just support a little more of the interface, so that more can be done.. :)
> (dummy returns etc.)

that wouldn't be hard, just look at the ioctl section in
/sys/i386/isa/snd/sound.c which implements all the generic ioctl for
audio.

Of course you have to live with the limitations with /dev/pcaudio which
gives about 5-6 bits of resolution, and I doubt the max sample
rate (currently 8 KHz) can go much higher than 11025.

This said, I have used my "tel" (vat-like) application with
/dev/pcaudio and sort of works, the application just ignores the
failures returned from the ioctl and assumes a default behaviour for
the device.

/dev/pcaudio is much like /dev/audio if you don't have to change modes.

	cheers
	luigi