Date:      Sun, 5 Oct 1997 11:14:52 -0500
From:      Richard Wackerbarth <rkw@dataplex.net>
To:        "Scot W. Hetzel" <hetzels@aol.com>
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG, nate@mt.sri.com
Subject:   Re: CTM patch level added to newvers.sh

>>>One method I would like to see is that the .ctm_status file becomes a
>>>permanant part of the src tree. (Why?) Because CTM deltas are created at
>>>least once every day.
>>
>>Yes and that is exactly the problem with this solution. If I sup the CVS
>>tree then some rcs deltas may (and will) be added to the tree that are not
>>yet noticed by CTM. In other words, during one day a sup would give me
>>different versions of the source tree, all with the same CTM delta version.
>>And since people are building 'releases' from the CVS tree (instead of
>>ftp'ing them) this is not good.

>This suggest that CTM deltas are created every 6 Hours.
Actually, that depends on which tree you are "sup"ping. The updates for the cvs
tree are presently done every 8 hours. Source trees are on a slower interval.

> And Thus if you sup
>at 4 different times during the day, you will get at least 4 different
>versions.  Now, if you sup between the 6 hour delta creations, then you will
>get different versions with the same CTM value.

That all depends on what source you "sup". I believe that only those who can
directly commit to the master tree are able to get a version without some
latency.
For the bulk of the users, they can only access a snapshot of the tree that is
taken at some interval.

>How fine, do you want it?

Personally, I think that the granularity of ctm deltas is adequate to excessive
for this purpose. Those of you who can commit are quite capable of cobbling
pieces together and understand which pieces you got when and where. For the
"unwashed masses", being able to identify the particular snapshot in an easy
and understandable manner is important. However, their granularity is more
likely
to be weeks rather than minutes.

See my other reply for additional comment.

Richard Wackerbarth