Date:      Tue, 28 Jul 2009 12:38:16 -0500
From:      Peggy Wilkins <enlil65@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Using WITH_OPENSSL_PORT

On Sun, Jul 26, 2009 at 2:13 AM, b. f.<bf1783@googlemail.com> wrote:
>> As the PR advises, switching back to base openssl fixes my problem.
>
> Well, apparently only part of it. =A0Unfortunately the openssl framework
> in ports doesn't accommodate mixing and matching of base and port
> openssl, so while this may allow you to use pam_ldap, it's at the
> expense of other ports. =A0You should probably follow-up on the PR, and
> explain to the committer who closed it why a real solution to the
> problem would be desirable. =A0Also, ask the krb5 maintainer if it would
> be possible to relax the openssl requirements on his port. =A0Sometimes
> these restrictions are relics of times when an earlier version of
> openssl in base was causing problems, and they may no longer be
> relevant.

It turns out there are a number of open PR's for related issues.  For insta=
nce:

ports/120101: security/krb5 utilities link against wrong libcom_err
http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=3Dports/120101

ports/121573: security/krb5 (MIT Kerberos) generates non-working ksu
http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=3Dports/121573

ports/128972: Port security/krb5 has a linking problem when compiled
against base openssl
http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=3Dports/128972

I get a working security/krb5 compiled against base openssl, if I
preface all the client commands with LD_LIBRARY_PATH=3D/usr/local/lib.
I'm not sure what a good resolution for all those PR's would be... how
is this sort of conflict of shlibs normally resolved for ports?

>> Since I am already using pam_ldap on this system in production, I
>> don't see any easy way to get security/krb5 installed and working via
>> ports on the same system since openssl requirements for these things
>> conflict. =A0I think my easiest solution is to use a different system
>> for security/krb5.
>
> At least in the short term, if you don't have the time to patch these
> ports yourself, you may be right. =A0Another thing you may want to
> consider: will the kerberos implementation already in the base system,
> or another kerberos port, meet your needs, so that you can dispense
> with the krb5 port?

Another thing that occurred to me (I may have seen it online
somewhere) is that if I replace the base kerberos with ports/krb5
compiled against the base openssl, my problem with multiple
conflicting shared libraries would go away.  It looks like I can build
my system with WITHOUT_KERBEROS setting in /etc/src.conf, though I am
still unsure how to remove the already-installed kerberos on my
production system -- do I hunt down and delete the already-installed
files, or is there an easier way to do that?

BTW even though I've been running FreeBSD for over 6 years now, I
hadn't heard of /etc/src.conf before this weekend.  How do people find
out about that?  I'm surprised to have missed it before now.

plw