Date:      Sat, 7 Dec 2002 13:30:35 -0700
From:      "Cliff L. Biffle" <cbiffle@safety.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Athlon motherboard for 5.0?

I'd incorrectly posted this to -current earlier today, and was advised to
repost here.  However, as I'm not subscribed, I'd appreciate any responses
CC'd to my address. :-)

I'm running 5.0-DP2 on an Asus motherboard with the Apollo KT133 chipset.  The
chipset is notoriously buggy, according to the folks on -current, and I've
been having trouble with the USB and ATA controllers -- though it's
intermittent and hard to reproduce.

I've stumbled across a new 1.4Ghz Athlon Thunderbird chip, which doesn't work
in my older motherboard.  So, I'm in the market for a mobo.  It's for a
workstation, and integrated graphics and sound are not desired.  It'd be nice
if it took PC133 SDRAM, since I have 768MB here, but DDR is okay if
necessary.  But most importantly, everything on the motherboard needs to have
good support in 5.0.  Support in 4-stable is nice, but hardly a requirement.
If this means sticking with an older, more conservative chipset, and
sacrificing things like USB 2.0, Firewire, or fast AGP, it doesn't bother me
at all.  I'm not a gamer or a video producer; my motherboard is used solely
to connect my CPU to RAM and cards. :-)

Suggestions?

-Cliff L. Biffle