Date:      Tue, 09 Jun 1998 13:25:00 +0200
From:      Mike Crawfurd <mike.crawfurd@cmg.nl>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   AMD PCNet family PCI

Dear FreeBSD Gods,

I've got a problem (which I posted before) with the AMD PCNet family
network adapter. I've got a compaq deskpro 575 with and AMD PCNET Family
Ethernet Adapter (PCI&ISA). I've installed FreeBSD 2.2.6-RELEASE now,
but still the same errors waste my oh-so-beautiful console.

I'm trying to configure the network card (AMD PCNET), but got the
following problem... The network adapter is according to specifications
a lnc adapter
(FreeBSD agrees with me :-) I think)

When configuring the kernel two things occur:
The network adapter is found twice (always nice)
   -- With the PCI detection (a paste follows)
Jun 3 09:51:59 asig /kernel: lnc1 <PCNet/PCI Ethernet adapter> rev 22
int a irq 11 on pci0:11
Jun 3 09:51:59 asig /kernel: lnc1: NE2100 (C-LANCE) address
00:80:5f:8a:28:ba

Really nice huh :-)

But again the card is detected by ISA (happy happy joy joy)
   -- and with ISA detection (a paste follows)
Jun 3 09:52:00 asig /kernel: lnc0 at 0x1000-0x1017 irq 11 drq 0 on eisa
slot 1
Jun 3 09:52:00 asig /kernel: lnc0: NE2100 (C-LANCE) address
00:80:5f:8a:28:ba

I'm overjoyed with pleasure of irq conflicts, I thought my joy would
never end BUT ...
then I looked with ifconfig -a AND again I find I have two network
adapters for the price of one.

lnc1: flags=802<BROADCAST,SIMPLEX> mtu 1500 ether 00:80:5f:8a:28:ba
lp0: bla bla
lnc0: flags=803<UP,BROADCAST,SIMPLEX> mtu 1500
   inet 172.24.5.36 netmask 0xffff0000 broadcast 172.24.2.1
   ether 00:80:5f:8a:28:ba
bla bla bla

I've configured the lnc0 (the ISA version) with ifconfig, but got a
beautiful "Initialisation failed" error-code back. After rebooting and
changing the /etc/rc.conf, I've tried to configure the PCI version but
again the same error-code is scrolling over my
almost-never-containing-any-error-console...

I've tried everything that comes to my mind (and believe me.. I may not
be smart, but very resourceful).
The following tries were made:

Disabling the entire PCI bus (in the kernel, making it impossible for
PCI to detect the card)
	but again the ISA version gives the Initialisation failed

Disabling the ISA card (in the kernel, just configurating the lnc0 ISA
driver)
	but then the PCI version gives the Initialisation failed

Can someone tell me what I've done wrong ?
I think the card is BOTH ISA and PCI, this seems to bother FreeBSD alot
(and by bothering FreeBSD it's bothering me even more).
Is there a hot fix/sneaky dirty solution to this problem ? Or am I
missing something :-)

Personally I want to throw out this worthless piece of computing, but
since I usually strew up settings, operating systems, hosts, etc. there
probebly is a safe and simple solution to this problem.

I've managed to give the adapter his own IP number (172.24.5.36), and
this one is pingable (strange huh)... I've tried to add some routes,
default routes, (basically everything that comes to mind) configging the
card until I dropped...

Error in network (e.g. 172.24.5.*) -> network is down
But since I have lnc0 AND lnc1 it's really confusing for a "newbie" to
networking...
Can someone please help me with this poor excuse for a network adapter ?

I really don't know what to do at this point since I don't know if my
experience with networking is lacking OR the network card is not
supported making it impossible for me to ever configure the adapter
right.

I appriciate all the help I could get...

TIA & TTUL,

Mike Crawfurd.

Mike Crawfurd                          Telephone. (+31) 10 253 7000
CMG Advanced Technologies Industries   Telefax.   (+31) 10 253 7033
Kralingseweg 241, 3062 CE Rotterdam    Mobile.    (+31) 65 534 7574
The Netherlands                        Email.     mike.crawfurd@cmg.nl