Date:      Mon, 20 Oct 1997 23:25:54 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Matthew N. Dodd" <winter@jurai.net>
To:        dkelly@hiwaay.net
Cc:        Joe McGuckin <joe@via.net>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 2.2.2-RELEASE '875 SCSI won't negotiage

On Mon, 20 Oct 1997 dkelly@hiwaay.net wrote:
> It really bugged me that my UW HD on PentiumPro was being beat by a P-133
> with narrow SCSI. Then I began to wonder if there was a difference between
> inner and outer tracks. This fs starts about 200M past block 0, while the
> above (up 2, the IBM) starts 2.4G from the end of the disk:

Which is why you buy the largest, fastest drives available and short
stroke them when you want a really fast RAID system.

10k RPM drives are nice but the track to track seek delay is still a large
factor in performance.

Ideally I'd have an array of 100s of disk, each using only the outer
track.  In a RAID 0/1 set, this would be really fast.  :)

/*
   Matthew N. Dodd		| A memory retaining a love you had for life
   winter@jurai.net		| As cruel as it seems nothing ever seems to
   http://www.jurai.net/~winter | go right - FLA M 3.1:53
*/