Date:      Tue, 8 Dec 2009 17:01:11 -0500
From:      Mark Fullmer <maf@eng.oar.net>
To:        Alexander Leidinger <Alexander@Leidinger.net>
Cc:        freebsd-security@freebsd.org, Tomasz bla Fortuna <bla@thera.be>
Subject:   Re: One-time password implementation.

HOTP is defined in rfc4226, it's not my own.  There is variant called
TOTP which ties the count to a clock.

The Spyrus reader has an RTCC which could be used to drive the count.
What scenario do you see a time based token having advantage over a
loosely synchronized count?  otp-control can be used to generate soft
tokens for testing, although in its current form this wouldn't work
easily for an end user.  Adding a HOTP soft token generator with the
same functionality as the smart card wouldn't be much work.

Keeping to this mailing list, is a HOTP implementation to replace/
augment the existing OPIE package something the FreeBSD security team
is interested in?  The problems with OPIE brought up in the Feb 2009
thread "OPIE considered insecure" are not present in HOTP.

TOTP: http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-mraihi-totp-timebased-03
HOTP: http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc4226

--
mark