Date:      Thu, 18 May 2000 11:31:53 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Robert Watson <rwatson@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Martin Machacek <mm@i.cz>
Cc:        security@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: HEADS UP: New host key for freefall!

On Thu, 18 May 2000, Martin Machacek wrote:

> On 17-May-00 Garrett Wollman wrote:
> > Perhaps all the FreeBSD people are using either 2.6.2 or GnuPG, so
> > they really don't care whether the commercial product exists or not.
> > I use GnuPG, personally, since then I don't have to worry about any
> > licensing issues at all.
>
> I'm using Linux version of PGP 6.5.2 on FreeBSD 3.3 without any
> problems. Maybe that's another reason ...

For all interested: I contacted the appropriate NAI/PGP developers to find
out about a native FreeBSD build a few weeks ago.  The response was that
they have seen zero (0) demand for a FreeBSD build, and therefore don't
believe there is a substantial market to support a porting effort.  I
would tend to believe it's one of these, ``If you don't build it, they
won't come'' kind of things, as well as that the communication channels
between sales and development on that side are quite weak--prior to
joining NAI, I spent literally hours on the phone trying to register my
copy of PGP and failed to give them money :-(.

However, I think an organized campaign here would make a difference--if
your company has an NAI/PGP sales rep, let them know that you're
interested in a native FreeBSD build.  In particular, let them know if you
are willing to spend money--there's no point in building a visible demand
that falls through on the sales side, making it less likely to happen next
time :-).

  Robert N M Watson