Date:      Mon, 2 Dec 2002 19:02:46 -0500
From:      Chuck Swiger <cswiger@mac.com>
To:        Wayne M Barnes <stabilizer@klentaq.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: psybnc and IRC hack

On Monday, December 2, 2002, at 06:55  PM, Wayne M Barnes wrote:
>     What is "an IRC bouncer"?  Is it something I can use to protect
> against this hijack of my system?

"psybnc" stands for something like "PSYchotic irc BouNCer", although my
memory is imperfect.  I believe it's used to offer filesharing of warez
via private IRC channels, using your machine's diskspace and network
connectivity.  It was almost certainly installed by whoever cracked your
machine; quite probably there will be a rootkit which has been installed
as well.

>     I am running recent FreeBSD 4.7.

Please try to figure out what vulnerability your machine was compromised
by.
Security problems which affect the current release version are of a high
priority.

-Chuck

        Chuck Swiger | chuck@codefab.com | All your packets are belong to
us.