Date:      Tue, 13 Aug 1996 09:40:01 +0300 (IDT)
From:      Nadav Eiron <nadav@cs.technion.ac.il>
To:        joseph altea <joseph@internet.dswnet.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD driver support for PCI ethercards

On Mon, 12 Aug 1996, joseph altea wrote:

> Dear Sir/Madam;
>
> Does FreeBSD support multiple 100BaseT Ethernet cards aliased
> to multiple addresses?
I'm not sure I fully understand what you mean. Aliasing is giving more
than one address to a single physical interface. That can be easily done
with something like:

ifconfig inet de0 192.116.93.19 netmask 255.255.255.255 alias

This would have the effect of two addresses being bound to the same
physical connection. Node that the netmask should be all 1's, unless you
know what you're doing...

To have more than one PCI ethernet card is even easier (I didn't try two
100BaseTX cards, but I have one 100baseTX + one 10baseT working...).
Rebuild you're kernel with lines for the additional interfaces, like

device de1

(assuming you're using DEC based cards, which is what I use). There is no
need to create a device in /dev for those. Edit your /etc/sysconfig file.
Look for ifconfig. You'll see a list of the configured interfaces. Add
the new interface to the list. On the following lines there are the
configuration parameters for the interfaces. Add a line for your new
interface. Make sure that the new kernel you just configured is installed
and reboot.

Note: The addresses on the two cards must be on different nets or subnets!

> Where are docs on such?
Right here. I've added a DE450 PCI ethernet card to a machine last night,
did just what I said above, and it worked the first time!

> - thanks for any info - joseph

You're welcome
Nadav