Date:      Mon, 16 Sep 1996 16:16:59 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Marc G. Fournier" <scrappy@ki.net>
To:        Paul DuBois <dubois@primate.wisc.edu>
Cc:        Roddie Hasan <roddie@ki.net>, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Mounting an extended partition..

On Mon, 16 Sep 1996, Paul DuBois wrote:

> >I have just received FreeBSD 2.1.5 on CDROM in the mail.
> >
> >During installation, when I was trying to install from an extended MS-DOS
> >partition I kept getting an "Invalid Argument (22)" message whnever the
> >instraller would ry to mount the partition (wd0s2). I finally
> >managed to install from my Primary partition (C:) without a problem.
> >
> >I am again trying to mount this extended partition with no luck.  I am
> >still getting "Invalid Arguement" errors with mount.  Anyone know what the
> >problem could be?
>
> I encountered the same problem with 2.1.  I decided that you simply
> cannot install into an extended partition, but I'd be curious to know
> if that's actually the case.
>
> Must FreeBSD be installed into a primary partition?

	Actually, I believe the problem wasn' installing into the extended
partition...

	Basically, he has a CDrom that is unsupported by the 2.1.5
boot disk (2.2-SNAP seems to support it...), so what he did was took
and copied over what he required from the CDrom to an extended (E:)
drive on his computer.  Then, he booted up using the 2.1.5 disks and
tried to do an install *from* the extended file systems (E: Drive),
which is what was failing...

Marc G. Fournier                                  scrappy@ki.net
Systems Administrator @ ki.net               scrappy@freebsd.org