Date:      Tue, 20 Feb 2001 22:10:32 -0500 (EST)
From:      <scanner@jurai.net>
To:        Gordon Tetlow <gordont@bluemtn.net>
Cc:        Dan Phoenix <dphoenix@bravenet.com>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: qmail IO--qmail vs postfix competition

On Tue, 20 Feb 2001, Gordon Tetlow wrote:

> Well, as I said, these boxes are rather bored. I don't think the load
> reaches above 0.05. Most of the time is delivering mail trying to
> negotiate with destination hosts. I don't think that the mailers are IO
> bound, but I haven't really looked to find out to tell you the truth. Once
> the mailers are set up we treat them as black boxes. They just work.

	Aye. So is the one I was mentioning. I keep trying to get it to do
more, but dan doesnt have any more mail to throw at it :-). It is totally
idle though. Yes that is also a problem with his site, a good chunk of the
mailings are to incorrect hotmeail.com, ecite.com, places :) And most of
the places have VERY slow front end mail servers like you noted. Wish
there was something one could do about that. But alas...

> Also, the 500K number, is that per day? The 4 million was in 4 hours, not
> a day.

	Below is what he was doing on a single ATA disk. Not even ATA100.
Thehn we transitioned him to a 3 x 9.1GB IBM Deathstar Vinum RAID-0
stripe for /var/spool/postfix/. Not to shabby for a single disk IDE
server. I was impressed. And yes these are for 24h. I don't have stats on
the SCSI array yet. Hopefully I can get those tonight. But the IDE disk
below was totally hammered. Between Postfix slamming the disks until there
was no I/O left and logging on the same drive, it was pretty ugly to watch
:-)

Grand Totals
------------
messages
292315   received
288975   delivered
     7   forwarded
  6803   deferred  (22932  deferrals)
 28822   bounced
     9   rejected
   903m  bytes received
   930m  bytes delivered
    837   senders
    485   sending hosts/domains
 193110   recipients
  28337   recipient hosts/domains
smtpd
 100118   connections
     15   hosts/domains
      0   avg. connect time (seconds)
 8:17:03  total connect time

-Chris Watson         (316) 326-3862 | FreeBSD Consultant, FreeBSD Geek
Work:              scanner@jurai.net | Open Systems Inc., Wellington, Kansas
Home:  scanner@deceptively.shady.org | http://open-systems.net
WINDOWS: "Where do you want to go today?"
LINUX: "Where do you want to go tommorow?"
BSD: "Are you guys coming or what?"