Date:      Thu, 19 Apr 2001 09:29:13 -0700
From:      Ken Key <key@network-alchemy.com>
To:        "Torfinn Ingolfsen" <torfinn.ingolfsen@oslo.online.no>
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Freebsd on IBM Thinkpad X20?

I ran v4.2 on an X20 for a month (until I got it running on a T21).  The
biggest gotcha is PCMCIA IRQ's.  If you plug a PCMCIA card while running
a GENERIC kernel it would completely lock up.  Changing the pcic0 IRQ
from 0 to 10 and compiling a new kernel made things happy.  I was
running color depth 32 at 1024x768.  This information is from my
notes 5 months ago.  I haven't had an X20 since January, so I don't
know if there are other issues and I didn't have time to pursue the
pcic issue in more depth.  The PCMCIA issue would be bad new
if you are installing via a PCMCIA connected network card or
PCMCIA external CD-ROM.  I installed from an UltraBase CD-ROM.

Regards,
K^2

> Is anybody running FreeBSD on a Thinkpad X20?
> Are there any gotcha's to watch out for?
> --
> Torfinn Ingolfsen,
> Norway

Ken Key (key@cips.nokia.com, key@Network-Alchemy.com)
Nokia,  Clustered IP Solutions, Santa Cruz, CA