Date:      Thu, 31 Jan 2002 16:06:14 -0600 (CST)
From:      Gabriel Mark Mains <gmains@damn-cool.net>
To:        <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   popper authentication problem

My hard drive went out in my server this weekend. Amazingly I have
everything set back up and working just fine, excep for popper. I have
been looking all over trying to find the answer to my issue, but I can't
get it resolved.

Basically it is not authenticating the password when I pop my mail. Here
is the output in /var/log/messages:

Jan 31 11:20:49 route-1 popper[56839]: djcj@rock-on.damn-cool.net: -ERR
Password supplied for "djcj" is incorrect.

I know it is not just the account, because popper reports this same error
for every user account that is set up on my server. And I am trying to pop
mail from multiple email clients on multiple systems. All report the same
error.

I know that popper creats a temp file in /var/mail, so I have set this up
with chmod g+w, but the temp file never even gets created.

Please help....

Thanks,
Gabriel Mains